Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Things an apprentice must learn to do

Amongst learning the trade from the ground floor, a woodworking apprentice such as myself also needs to help maintain a functioning business and school. In order for such things to be maintained, inventory and supply orders are a regular occurrence.

Last week was my first inventory and order assignment and sandpaper was my assignment category. I sat myself in front of the sanding cabinet and counted the sanding discs (for the random orbit sanders as well as the disc sander), the sheets, and the belts.

As I have written before, we have a standard habit of sanding pieces with 80 grit followed by 120, 180, and ending on 220. Naturally, this isn't always the case but, since it is the norm, we need to have an abundance of the aforementioned grits as well as a comfortable supply of various higher and lower
grits for special jobs.

I moved along to the Klingspor's Woodworking Shop catalog and got very familiar with sandpaper types, grits, shapes, and item numbers. Then added a thousand biscuits (it blew my mind for a moment to think about the fact that we will easy use 1,000 biscuits) to the order and called it in.

The order arrived this week and contained all the correct items. ::sigh of relief:: The apprentice didn't screw it up! So, now we have a fully stocked sandpaper collection to brave the coming months and I have successfully survived my first inventory/order mission.

That is all I have to share for today because this 88-degree weather is slowing my brain function. Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment